Pages

DIY Lampshade Transformation: From Drab To Fab!

A real Cinderella story:

Lamp transformation

We bought this lamp at a local Goodwill store a couple of months ago for $3. It's beautiful, bold, and the perfect blend of my two conflicting styles - modern and antique. The problem was... well, there was no problem with it, really. It is beautiful. However, since I'm always looking for something that needs some crafty-love, I came up with an easy project to make the lampshade pop more. And boy does it pop! It demands attention when you walk into the room, and ties the damask(y) pattern on our bedspread with the black detailing in our furniture. I luuuurve it.

DIY Lampshade transformation

Here's how it all went down...

I didn't take a picture of my supplies because it all happened so fast. The idea struck me, and before I knew it, I was already painting like a madwoman. So, apologies.

But here's the list of supplies:
  •  Lampshade that needs some added fabulosity in its life.
  • Acrylic or fabric paint. I used acrylic paint simply because there is always more selection, it's cheaper (only 59 cents at Jo-Anns), and it's more versatile - you can use it on various surfaces.
  • A stencil. You might recognize my stencil design. This is the same stencil I used for my canvas art.
  • Cup or shallow dish to hold the paint
  • Small brush
  • Paper towels
  • Painters tape (optional)
Here's what I did:

This part is extremely simple. So simple, I probably don't have to explain it. But here it is anyways.
  1. Select what you want your design to look like and position your stencil on the lampshade. You can choose to use painters tape to hold the stencil still while you paint, but that step is optional. 
  2. Paint over the stencil. 
  3. When you are sure you've thoroughly painted within the stencil border, carefully remove the stencil from the lampshade. Be careful. The stencil may now have paint on the back as well as the front. In between each of my prints, I quickly wiped the stencil off with some paper towel.
  4. Repeat the process until you have the design that you are going for. Let it dry, and you're done!
DIY lampshade design

Here's the finished product in all its glory! Gorgeous, right?!

I can't believe how a simple concept and under $3 worth of supplies could turn an ordinary lamp into one with such impact and drama. Look how well it matches our already existing decor:

DIY Lampshade transformation

It just ties everything together. And at night, when its light is on - it has a velvety glow to it. Mmmm. I love it! I could not be happier with the result!

15 comments:

  1. I love the lamp shade! It looks great with the black pattern. I especially love it in that bedroom, with the mix of other patterns. I've wanted to try this, but haven't wanted to ruin a good shade. But a $3 find? Sign me up.

    P.S. I'm a new follower, so "hi"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks awesome Sharon! I've been needing to do something with our bedroom lamps...hmm I see some stenciling in our future ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man...I wish I could find "finds" like that. But I love the pattern on the lamp shade. Great work!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely delicious! Your bedroom is quite complete with the lam and that bedspread is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome. now I want to go and buy things from thrift stores and make stuff out of it!I am interested in doing this myself if there were such a find in my goodwill. except I wen tin there once and discovered out salvation army stores are better for finds like that. but thats really cool. can you make your stencil print outable??? :)


    I am a young artist and I am trying to find a way to make things out of other peoples trash without having to dig through garbage!I found an old belt which is gonna be a headband;a ring pop ring that's gonna be an oversized ring;and a screw and a bottle which I don't know what to do with yet.check my blog-furcereal- for the fashionable stuff I ever get a camera so you could see what becomes of that stuff!maybe you could give me suggestions for the bottle and everyday items or things you can find in the trash like glass bottles. I was thinking about making a chandelier out of glass tiles made from glass bottles that I find!
    my blog is furcereal.blogspot.com!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cute up-do for that lamp. I want one!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute... I would love to do that for my lamp in my room! I am also a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this lamp make-over. It looks so chic and fabulous now. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've put together a round up of some creative lamp makeovers on Craft Gossip today and included your project. :) You can see it here
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/9-great-lamp-ideas/

    If you would like to share the Craft Gossip love and show your visitors you've been featured, you can grab a button here!
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

    ReplyDelete
  10. This came out really well. It looks so stlish and chic! Love it. :) I am your newest follower. Have a great day.
    http://humblehomemaking.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh, I love the stencil pattern! It turned out so well! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. That is fabulous. I just discovered you site and I love it. I'm a new follower. Stop by and check out my blog if you would like.

    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. So Cute! I would love if you would link this project up to my weekly linky party Upcycled Awesome! http://tinyurl.com/upcycled36

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! That looks fantastic! I am wondering if I might be able to do something similar on my shutters. I have plain white ones right now and they are just not doing it for me. I feel that if the had just a little bit more color (I am really liking your work with the black), then it would really brighten things up. Thanks for all of the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete

We cherish your questions, comments, and love. If you're not a fan, why not find something you do love and leave some love there?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...